Tuesday 19 July 2016

Day 60, July 18. So close!

From: Strömmingsören
To: Seskarö
Distance: 56 km
Total distance: 2383,5 km
Wind: SW-NW 2- m/s
Weather: Mostly sunny, heavy shower around noon
Great sunny morning and an early start, yes! Started this day by paddling a lot of open sea and the conditions were perfect, sunny and light wind from southwest. The last couple of days I started listening to the Swedish radio show "Sommarpratarna" and getting entertained by all their stories the hours and kilometres pass by quickly and easily.

I had a loosely set goal today and that was to reach Seskarö so that I could have a great last meal at Seskarö Wärdshus. I've visited a fair number of nice restaurants during this trip and to top it all off by eating at another one recommended by "The White Guide" I reckoned was a great way to end it all. By lunch it was looking good and I realised I would be at Seskarö around half past five 😀, sweet!
The paddling during that afternoon was not easy though, the wind was strong and the waves big and just like that within a minute the wind shifted from SW to NW resulting in a very choppy and messy sea with waves coming in on a 45 degree angle from behind from both left and right. I felt like a little piece of floating cork being thrown around in every possible direction. I was still making good progress though and arrived safely at Seskarö at the time I originally estimated (I'm getting really good at this, figuring out how long it will take me to kayak from one place to another 😉). The harbour I thought would be good for getting ashore and camping turned out to be everything but. I ended up on a private little beach just next to it walking up to the house asking if I could park my kayak and pitch my tent for the night, they said yes! Thanks guys! I hope you have a great big family get together!
If you ever pass Seskarö, make sure to visit Seskarö Wärdshus, the dinner was absolutely delicious!!!
Reindear filet with potato cake and a chanterell sauce 😀, yummy!
As I'm sitting here enjoying a fabulous meal my family is on their way up north in the car, the plan is that I will stay put here at Seskarö until they have 4 hours of driving left and then I will pack all my gear and head for Vitikari head where they will great me and this whole trip will be come to an end.
Today's route:

8 comments:

  1. STORT GRATTIS !

    Jag såg på HBBs hemsida att du nått målet vid riksröse 59 i Virtakari. Det har varit ett nöje att följa din blogg och imponeras av dina långa dagsetapper. En rejäl bedrift att paddla hela kusten på 61 dagar trots ett långt uppehåll kring midsommar.

    Hälsningar
    Peter Sjödin
    HBB 111+151

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tackar! Började längta lite efter familjen och sommarstugan så det rann på bra i slutet.
      /Pernilla

      Delete
  2. Grattis!!! Har också följt dig! Kan bara hålla med Peter om att det är en grym bedrift! Så imponerad att du gjorde HBB ensam. Å att du "spöade" grabbarna gör inte saken sämre ;-)
    Tar mig själv en kajaktur i Väddö kanal i morgon bitti. Några 50-60km blir det inte haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man tackar! Hoppas du hade en skön tur i kanalen. Jag fick med hela familjen ut i fredags på kajaktur med övernattning, liiite långsammare och liiiite kortare distans än vanligt men mysigt!
      /Pernilla

      Delete
  3. Snyggt jobbat Pernilla! Nu får du ta lite semester o vila upp dig. 🚣🍷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jobbar för fullt på att vila upp mig, idag med att bygga inredning till vårt kajakförråd :-).
      /Pernilla

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Tack för visat intresse och för alla inlägg under resans gång! Det är väldigt uppmuntrande att få kommentarer när man sitter i sitt lilla tält i all ensamhet på kvällarna :-).
      /Pernilla

      Delete