Saturday 21 May 2016

Day 1, May 20. A bit of a rough start

From: Svinesundsbron
To: Yttre Burholmen
Distance: 29 km
Wind: S-SW 7-11 m/s
Wheather: First rain then clearing up in the evening
After a bad nights sleep at a Hotel in Strömstad (my daughter had a really bad cold and was coughing all night) it was finally time to start. Did some final grocery shopping that made it very difficult fitting everything into the dry compartments. Hopefully it will be an easier task in a couple of days when some food has been consumed and I'm getting better at stuffing stuff.


Long hugs and kisses with the family and I got myself seated in the kayak that I now found sits a LOT lower in the water than during my training sessions in the spring. Well the pro is that it will be very stable which proved to be a good thing just a few hours later.


Setting off I had the tidal current with me for the first few kilometres in the fjord but when hitting the open sea the waves started rolling in and it also started raining.
The headwind started taking out its toll after a few hours and when stopping for lunch I actually put the tent up and the break became a bit more than a break 😀. Seeing on the weather forecast that the rain would stop a couple of hours later I waited it out and then left for some late hours paddling. This ended up being a really nice way of spending the evening and I finally got out of the kayak around half past eight.
Todays route:


5 comments:

  1. Härligt att höra att första dagen gick bra! Jag kan inte se någon av dina tre bilder 😔

    ReplyDelete
  2. Härlig att höra att andra har motvind jag har haft det sen Dannemark är nu på Öcker. God tur

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoppas bilderna syns igen. Det vara SBS från min sida. Ja motvinden den har hållt i sig även idag, dag 3 men började lugna ner sig lite nu på em.

    ReplyDelete