Tuesday 31 May 2016

Day 11, May 30. Stuck!

From: Steninge strand
To: Halmstad
Distance: 25 km
Total distance from Svinesundsbron: 369,5 km
Wind: E-SE 7-13 m/s
Weather: Warm and sunny
So the only good thing about today is the fact that the sun has been shining all day. Apart from that it has been a shitty day and I'm really frustrated and disapointed. Today was the day when I was supposed to get across Laholmsbukten and the wind felt ok when I first started this morning. Thereafter it got bad and then just worse. When rounding the head after paddling along Tylösand beach the waves that started to hit me were big, like scary big. Imediately started looking for a place to land the kayak as close as possible and found a harbour that had a perfect little beach. 
Going straight across the bay was no longer an option, that was pretty clear, but I figured I'd wait for a couple of hours and then take the long way over following the coastline of the bay. 
So around 6 pm I packed up my stuff again and headed out thinking it would not be as bad since I would go along the coast... Waves started breaking over the kayak over and over and the wind was still as strong and I was actually scared for the first time since I started. This did not feel safe. So I only got another 2 km and I'm now stuck on this beach... See that blue contour just above the horizon? That's where I wanted to be tonight...
Looking at the photo it all looks rather idyllic but photos can be deceiving, there are big waves out there!
Todays route:

4 comments:

  1. Bra beslut Pernilla inte utman vädergudarna. Har tagit ett par sådana beslut under min färd. Startar på söndag igen. Ha en bra fortsättning.
    Olof Löfman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tack! Ja det kändes inte säkert att fortsätta men inte heller så kul att tälta precis i utkanten av en så pass stor stad. Idag har det gått bättre och jag är över! Lycka till med fortsättningen på söndag, hoppas det var en skön pausvecka!

      Delete
  2. Hoppas du haft lugnare väder idag och att det gått bra. Men det var jättebra att du avbröt igår, onödiga risker är ... onödiga! Jag drömde om din paddling i natt, så du gör uppenbarligen intryck :-)

    /Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bättre idag tack, även om det är lite galet idag också med åskvädret som bara går och går 😀. Kul att resan gör intryck!

      Delete