Wednesday 1 June 2016

Day 12, May 31. Over on the other side

From: Halmstad
To: Burensvik
Distance: 49 km
Total distance from Svinesundsbron 418,5 km
Wind: NE turning to E, 3-9 m/s
Weather: Sunny in the morning, cloudy during the day, insane thunderstorms starting late afternoon
Woken by the alarm at 4 am, figured starting early was going to be my key to get over this darn bay and also to actually go around instead of straight over. At 04:45 I took my first paddle stroke and was rewarded with a nice sunrise to look at while paddling in the headwind past the not so beautiful port in Halmstad.
When turning south to paddle along the coast, which was practically one long beach, the wind was blowing sideways and I had a really nice morning here before stopping for breakfast at Mellbystrand beach.
From here I chose to head straight for Kattvik on the other side since that would give me tailwind the entire way and I didn't see any breaking waves out there that could cause me trouble. It all turned out well and I was safely over an hour and 50 minutes later.
Continuing along Bjärehalvön there was some stunning rugged coastline on the north side.
Starting so early this morning it was only about half past 1 when I got to Torekov, so I took my time to have a look around, have lunch and also ice cream and a coffee afterwards. This way I won't have to cook dinner tonight, sweet!
The early start turned out to be a very lucky move, after lunch real heavy thunderstorms started rolling in north of me, got in my kayak to complete the last couple of kilometres I had left and was able to pitch the tent just before the rain started falling. Now I'm in my tent listening to the thunder and heavy rainfall, rather cosy I must say😀. Tomorrow it's time for Skäldeviken!
Today's route:

2 comments:

  1. Lycka til med Skälderviken! Jag följer med över (via paddan ;)!

    \\Staffan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tack! Det gick väldigt smidigt, rapport kommer imorgon.

      Delete