Sunday 5 June 2016

Day 16, June 4. Ups and downs

From: Nameless beach a couple of km east of Höllviken
To: Svarte
Distance: 51 km
Total distance: 607 km
Wind: Early morning, no wind 😃. Later E turning SW and back to E late afternoon. 0-6 m/s
Weather: Warm and sunny most of the day, late afternoon cloudy and a shower
Today has been a day of ups and downs. Started great with no wind and the ocean completely calm almost like a mirror.
Now we're talking! More of this please!
To top the morning off I also passed a large group of seals. The first thing I notice is often the sound of their breathing and then start to look for them. Very gracious animals. Today I got really close to a couple when I stopped paddling, just quietly sliding through the water.
My husband was running the Stockholm Marathon as a pacer today so there was a fair bit of getting the phone out of the little dry compartment on the front deck to see how he was doing. (He was a pacer for the 3:15 group and crossed the finish line at 3:15:00 😀, the runners that chose to join him must have been pleased. Good effort darling!).
After an hour or two, passed Trelleborg, boredom struck, just beach after beach, houses all along the coast, no variation, looking at the sand patterns on the bottom of the sea, sometimes there were some seaweed (yihaa!). There was a lot of checking the phone at this point I can admit...
Thinking this will be a long day. That's when you turn to music 😀, started singing tunes to myself and after also stopping in Smygehuk (Sweden's southernmost point) having a cup of coffee it was high life again!

Had a great afternoon, hearing thunder from far inland, sky dark gray, there was some great contrasts in colour with the sunlit shore and dark sea and sky.

When it was time to look for a place to pitch the tent, I started thinking about a couple back in Smygehuk asking me questions about where I was going, how far I would go today, if I was camping aso. Well actually it was only the man asking questions, the woman looking down on the ground. My mind started playing tricks on me thinking this was a rather odd behaviour and I did no longer feel comfortable sleeping in the tent on a beach with the main road along the coast just 30 m or so away. So I ended up asking a man if I could sleep in their garden, trying to explain why, and he said yes! It can't be everyday a wet kayaker shows up in your door step asking if they can camp in your back yard so I'm most grateful! A big thank you to the whole family for a good night's sleep, a shower, pizza and the glass of wine!!!
Today's route:

No comments:

Post a Comment