Tuesday 7 June 2016

Day 18, June 6. Rollercoaster ride!

From: Gislövs hamnar
To: Kivik
Distance: 29,5 km
Total distance: 684 km
Wind: S-SE 3-8 m/s
Weather: Sunny, 15 C
Todays paddle was short but mentally draining. Waves as big as the ones out there today require 100% focus for me. They were bigger than when I got stuck wanting to cross Laholmsbukten but luckily easier to tackle since they were longer and not the steep aggressive kind. I read somewhere that when in a kayak, if you can't see the horizon when you are at the bottom in between two waves, the wave height is about 80 cm (the distance from the bottom of the kayak to the paddlers eyes). Using that as an estimate of today's waves I would say that they were up to a bit more than one meter in height because the horizon was way out of sight when being in between two waves. It may not sound like a lot but it sure feels like you are being tossed around all over the place or like being on a rollercoaster ride. So becase of this, I only have one photo from today. Is shows Stens Huvud that was the landmark I had in sight and was aiming for during most of the day.
Only a couple of km further on from this head is Kivik, todays destination. And what a great destination that was!
Two nights ago I got an email from the sister of a good friend of my parent's inviting me to come stay with them overnight, wash my clothes, go grocery shopping, sleep in a proper bed... That was an offer to good to say no to! So tonight I'm lying in a real bed writing this text after having had a great meal with nice wine (including a local Swedish wine), getting groceries, all my clothes washed, help with improving the folding mechanism of my rudder and last but not least great company. Karin and Torbjörn, it was fantastic staying with you! Thank you so much for your hospitality and all your help!
Tomorrow I will have to start paddling at the latest 9 am to get passed Ravlunda, the second military practice area to get passed in only three days, before they start shooting with sharp ammunition at 11am! Yikes!
Today's route:

No comments:

Post a Comment