Thursday 30 June 2016

Day 41, June 29.

From: Stora Kalholmen
To: Gräddö
Distance: 43 km
Total distance: 1408,5 km
Wind: S-SE 2-7 m/s
Weather: Sunny all day, 20 C
Today was once again a day with a fixed destination, I was aiming for my colleague Christel's summer house in Gräddö where my family was also going to join us.
Started off with a nice breakfast in the sun while a little family of swans passed by, stuffed the kayak with all gear and headed off.

Started with going through a little channel and under a bridge:
The paddling up until noon was in what I consider as perfect conditions, sun, a very light tail wind and beautiful surroundings. The area around Finnhamn has lots of islands with great cliffs and windswept pines, my favourite! There is also a special scent from these island when the sun is out that smells like summer for me.

After lunch at Blidö the wind picked up and was turning over to southeast so no more perfect tailwind this day since I was going northeast 😢.
Had a really close encounter with a ferry just before passing Kapellskär (I did not use zoom for this picture...). I think I need to stop trying to cross the fare ways before all these big ships or I will end up under one. But I always think I have plenty of time and also underestimate the distance over to the other side of the fare way, if it's even possible to see where it ends and what course the ship will take...
When approaching Gräddö, Christel was there waving from the jetty and showing me where to go. Great to see her again after 6 weeks off work!
When walking up to the house with all the gear we almost got run over by my family arriving by car, my husband didn't get a position for the address I gave him so he used the "find my friends" function on the iPhone (that is how he keeps track of me while I'm paddling since I don't use a Spot or any other form of GPS with positioning), perfect timing!!!
Spent a great evening with delicious food and fantastic company at Christel's place and ended the evening with going down for a swim for those who wanted (I was not one of the brave ones😁)!
Today's route:

No comments:

Post a Comment