Monday 13 June 2016

Day 24, June 12. Feeling desperate, I must get a new phone

From: Sandvik
To: Stora Hästeholmen
Distance: 29,5 km
Total Distance: 939 km
Wind: NE 2-8 m/s (the #%#+! forecast claims I had SE winds since after lunch, that was NOT the case😡)
Weather: Sunny all day but still cold 16 C
First I must start by just saying, I'm soooo fed up with head wind!!! There, had to get it out, now I can move on.
Day started with a lovely breakfast with Gunnar and Lena, you guys have been taking such good care of me! Thank you!
My major project today was to buy a new phone since my old one was killed yesterday by drowning... First phone ever that I've destroyed, have previously always managed to keep them in perfect shape until they get too old. Well, I was lucky to be close to Kalmar, but being a Sunday there was not much of a choice among stores, only open store was 3. I just wanted to get a new phone but that was not possible so now I'm sitting here with a 24 month subscription and a phone locked in by 3 as the only possible mobile service provider... Desperate times call for desperate measures. At least I can take photos again and have some sort of link to civilization.
Kayaking through Kalmar and the moat around Kalmar castle was awesome, I was out of the wind and the castle is majestic with drawbridge and all. (No photos of this though, it was pre new phone-era). When passing under one of lots of bridges I met two other kayakers and got a tip on where to find a place to put the kayak while running errands in the city. It's not every day you find a jetty equipped with a specific kayak ramp 😀.
The high fence with barbed wire that surrounded the area made me feel like the kayak would be super safe while I was gone, getting me out and then back in was a bit of a mission though...
Thereafter I passed under the bridge to Öland
and struggled on in the head wind a little bit longer until I found this place:

Definitely the closest to the water I've pitched my tent so far, quite handy since it saved me some time not having to carry all the gear from the kayak to the tent (and vice versa tomorrow morning).
Today's route:

3 comments:

  1. Tack för att du ordnat en ny telefon så att vi, dina följare, kan följa dig i både text och bild. Medvindarna kommer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jag har också tältat två gånger på den här ön. Upptäckte du att i viken på andra sidan har en båtklubb gjort i ordning en bra plats med bord och bänkar? En utmärkt plats att tälta på. Kanske nästa gång :-)

    /Peter

    ReplyDelete