Wednesday 15 June 2016

Day 26, June 14. Passed 1000 km

From: Sörö
To: Stora Berktullen
Distance: 45,5 km
Total distance: 1043 km
Wind: N-NE 3-7 m/s (head wind, surprise, surprise...)
Weather: Sunny until noon then cloudy, 18 C
This morning, just after I started, I passed 1000 km paddled since the start under Svinesundsbron! Just about another 1400 km and I'm finished... No seriously, this is going a lot better than I ever thought it would and I do look forward to the rest of the journey up along the coast.
The paddle today has been through some stunning stretches of archipelago, my favourite kind, with smooth rock gently sloping down into the water and lots of pine on the small islands.


What would be a great thing to do to enhance this scenic piece of nature if not build nuclear power plant? When approaching Simpevarp (number 3 of the nuclear power plants passed so far) from the south you're crisscrossing among the islands and the only thing giving away the power plant is a chimney or two, the all of a sudden you round a corner and see this:
A bit of a shocker! Perfectly matching the paper mill outside Mönsterås with the white and blue striped walls (passed that yesterday) by the way. Same "architect"?
I also got an assignment from my kids today and that was to photograph the diving platforms at Gunnarsö. They love the story my husband has told them (over and over on request) about when he, 7 years old, first jumped off the 5 meter platform at this very place and how grandpa was scared out of his mind when he went first to show him how it was done. So kids, here it is:
Today's route:

No comments:

Post a Comment