Monday 6 June 2016

Day 17, June 5. A day at the beach

From: Svarte
To: Gislövs hamnar
Distance: 47,5 km
Total distance: 654,5
Wind E-SE 3-8 m/s
Wheather: Sunny all day but somewhat cooler (17 C)
Got up and off reasonably early, first paddle stroke ten to nine, head wind not too bad. Already from the start I had my mind set on coffee at Ystad Saltsjöbad (a lovely hotel I've been to several times to attend conferences) so after just an hour or so I was out of the kayak again sitting by the hotel pool sipping on my latte. Great start to this morning.
When it was time to leave the wind had picked up and also the waves which made it a tricky task to get back into the kayak since the waves kept breaking over it as soon as I pushed the kayak out in the water. I think I must have had about 10 litres of water in the cockpit before I finally got seated (first time I got to use the bilge pump I'm carrying). The people watching me from the beach must have had a good laugh.
Struggled on in the head wind for another two hours before I decided to take a long break at the beach at Kabusa. If you ever want to have at least a kilometre or so of total privacy at a beautiful beach, this is the place to head to! Completely deserted even though this was a Sunday. Just make sure first that it isn't one of the days the military uses this area to practice with sharp ammunition!
At 6 pm the wind started to settle a bit and I headed out again to go around Sandhammaren and the never ending beach (I was warned about this reading the other HBB paddlers blog) that goes along this entire head and then some (think it must me more than 10 km long). Having strong easterly winds here in southern Sweden for about a week there were big waves rolling in now that I hit the first bit of east coast. This forced me quite far out from the beach not to get them breaking over me in the kayak. Not the most pleasant evening paddle but I'm now passed that beach 😃 and got a nice sunset to look at while rocking up and down in the waves.
Today's route:

No comments:

Post a Comment