Friday 1 July 2016

Day 42, June 30. A very very very long strait

From: Gräddö
To: Själgrundet
Distance: 48,5 km
Total distance: 1457
Wind: S-SW 1-6 m/s
Weather: Mostly cloudy, some sun, 20 C
Day started with a cosy breakfast at Christel's house and after that this time it was me staying waving to the family when they took off first this morning.
About an hour later I had everything packed and ready, water bags filled up, clean clothes and fresh food to last me for about a week. Said good bye to Christel. Thanks again, it was great!
My original plan was to go on the outside of Väddö, past Arholma but the very calm sea and threatening clouds inland made me check the forecast once more and indeed it had been changed.

Now saying there would be very strong winds (up to 13 m/s) all afternoon, a change of plan was needed and I headed towards the more sheltered Väddö channel/strait instead. It was nice at first but after hours of the same thing and a stop for coffee at Älmsta I got incredibly bored but the goal today was to get out on the other side of this darn strait and I was not going to give in due to boredom.
Just got to get back to Älmsta and that coffee break again, I forgot my jacket on a chair outside the pharmacy when finishing yesterday's blog post and didn't discover it until I got back to the kayak 😨. More or less ran back and the very nice ladies at the pharmacy had taken care of it!!! A very big thank you to the three of you! You made my day! 💐
Finally around 6 pm I got out and paddled straight over to the closest islands. Found a good spot on the north shore of one of them and after a while the sun even came out. Saw the nice sunset from the tent and went to sleep right after that (I've been feeling really tired from a cold I'm having, that's what you get from spending time around lots of people again...).
Today's route:

No comments:

Post a Comment