Sunday 17 July 2016

Day 58, July 16. I'm closing in

From: Ole-Vipersagrundet
To: Nord-Mörön
Distance: 52 km
Total distance: 2277 km
Wind: SE-SW: 2-9 m/s
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 19 C
I'm really getting closer to Haparanda now, probably only have three days left after today. It feels both great but also a bit sad. It has been a fantastic trip so far. Some hard times, sure, but mostly I've really enjoyed it.
Had a very late start today, there was drizzle all morning so I let myself sleep 'til 9 am and then just hanged in the tent until almost lunchtime. Got in the kayak at half past twelve 😱😀. The pro of having such a late start was that the wind had also turned over to more southerly and that means tailwind!
Had a first short leg before I stopped at Pite-Rönnskär for coffee and to have a look at the famous Heidenstam Lighthouse that actually first was in use at Sandhammaren (the southeastern head of Sweden that I paddled passed day on day 17) and then moved all the way up here.
After that it was time for another evening paddle but this time not as calm and pleasant as usual, strong winds, dark clouds and big waves had me staying alert! Specially when rounding the heads since most of them end with a long spit of rocks, heaps of them hiding under the surface when you think the coast is clear.
When getting out of the kayak the mosquitos thought it was pay-back time for yesterday's absence and was waiting for me ready to finish me alive. I worked out a good routine for these late evenings to stay sane, first mosquito repellent on before I even leave the kayak, then dry clothes that covers everything but hands and face, get the cooker going to boil water, while waiting the 10 minutes for the food to get ready pitch the tent and get all the gear in. Then finally eat inside the tent that is warm, dry and mosquito free 😀!!
Today's route:

1 comment:

  1. Ja, nu är du nära. Det var roligt att se ditt färdstreck förbi Bondön, Mellerstön, Vargön, Baggen m.m. Mina gamla hemmavatten.
    Leif, f.d. pitbo, numera Söderhamn

    ReplyDelete