Sunday 3 July 2016

Day 45, July 3. Crash!

From: Stony beach west of Långsand
To: Axmars brygga
Distance: 55 km
Total distance: 1611,5 km
Wind: SW 4-9 m/s
Weather: Partly cloudy, sunny evening, 17 C
Breakfast in the sun today while drying all the wet clothes from yesterday. Had a look at the map during breakfast and realised this will be a day of just crossing bay after bay, sigh! Estimating the distance up to Axmars brygga to a bit less than 60 km and decided to give it my best shot, picturing dinner at the restuarant as the goal today.
When stopping for a late and quick lunch at Iggön I saw that my goal was within reach and took the shortest possible way over the next bay, 13 km open sea.
 Lunch spot on a rocky shore
 Stone beach, there are heaps of these around here.
This is what most of my day has been like, land somewhere far over there...
When reaching the other side and going through a narrow strait at Gåsholma at good speed I suddenly heard a crash and the kayak jumped up in the air and stopped! Shit! I hit a rock that was lurking just beneath the surface 😫. Fearing the worst I immediately hit the shore and had a look at the damage done to the kayak. The hit took a piece of the gel coat shell off and I figured it was bad enough to cause leakage into the front dry compartment. Kept going anyway while looking carefully at the front to see if it started going deeper and stopped after a few kilometres to check how much water got in. Luckily it wasn't too bad, there was some but not much water at that point. When reaching Axmars brygga an hour later about 50 ml had leaked into the dry compartment. So tomorrow I will have to play handyman (luckily I'm actually a decent handy(wo)man and will probably be able to fix it) and take out the gel coat repair kit and try to fix it so that it will hold for another 800 km... 😳. I'd rather be paddling but this will have to be attended to first.
The dinner at Axmars brygga hamnkrog was excellent by the way. Lived up to the fantasies I've had about it all day.
Today's route:

No comments:

Post a Comment