Friday 8 July 2016

Day 48, July 6. Tough day with a fabulous ending

From: Stocka
To: Galtström
Distance: 39 km
Total distance: 1758 km
Wind: NW 7-15 m/s
Weather: Sunny
Knew from the weather forecast that this would be a tough day with winds from 7 m/s up to 15 m/s from NW. Heading out on a day like this it is always with a bit of anxiety not really knowing how bad it's going to be, it is so dependent on the direction of the wind, how it will twist and turn around the heads and in the bays and what sort of waves you'll get. My goal was to reach Lörudden but it became pretty obvious after just a couple of kilometres that I could forget about that, the wind forced me to take the long way up along the coast, along the shore of every bay to seek what shelter I could get. And still, I consider myself lucky, if this wind would have come more from north or even worse northeast I would not have been able to paddle at all. Or if I would have had this wind yesterday when doing all the crossings... When the worst gusts came my only focus was on not going backwards and then 200 m further on the on the leeward side of a head I could rather comfortably paddle in light head wind. Well, it was not monotonous today, that's for sure.
Since Thursday's forecast looked even worse the plan was to have the family come up and join me and to take a day off paddling and spend it with them instead. They left Stockholm after lunch and through lots of texting and checking google earth during the afternoon we decided that Galtström was a reachable goal for both kayak and car. The last bit of paddling into the bay where Galtström is took forever in dead on head wind and when finally getting out of the worst gusts picking my phone up to see whereabouts the rest of the family was I heard and saw three crazy persons a little bit further on a flat cliff jumping up and down shouting! It was them, they had seen me while driving along the bay and as soon as they found a good place to park they ran down to the shore to greet me! What excellent timing! And when looking around also an excellent spot for camping! Great beach, nice cliffs, grass to pitch the tents, fire place and a table and benches to sit on. Had the best and cosiest evening!!! 

Pre-dinner drinks.
Delicious meal.

Bonfire.
My tent has got a matching friend tonight 😀.
Tomorrow we will all spend the day together in Sundsvall and late afternoon I will try to struggle my kayak the remaining 13 km up to Lörudden for another family night.
Today's route:

No comments:

Post a Comment