Monday 18 July 2016

Day 59, July 17. Weather worries

From: Nord-Mörön
To: Strömmingsören
Distance: 50,5 km
Total distance: 2327,5 km
Wind: SW-S, 3-10 m/s
Weather: A bit of everything, sunny, cloudy, rain and thunder, 17 C
Once again a rainy morning that made my start later than I wished for. I figured out a way though not to have to pack a soaked tent. Started wiping the entire canvas with a wettex sponge cloth before I take the tent down and it works like a charm, when I pitch the tent again at night there is no trace of the mornings rain.
When I got in the kayak the sun started shining and I had a good couple of hours before I started hearing thunder from afar and saw very dark threatening clouds moving my way. Doing big crossings in these conditions always have me feeling a bit worried since you never know if the thunder all of a sudden will come your way and also if the wind will pick up massively. But today it all passed and the sky cleared up. I don't know if you can see it in the photo below but the change from dark cloudy skies to clear was distinct and was reflected in the sea in a fascinating way.
My first stop was the harbour at Junkön where I visited the cafe for a very late lunch. Took a walk around the island afterwards and walked by a cool old mill from the 17th century (when paddling passed this when I arrived I actually thought it was a playground and the mill a replica of the Mumin- house 😂).
As I left the wind had picked up considerably and in very good tail wind I continued for a couple of more hours, stopping for the night at another one of the stony beaches. Big pro, it was windy here and I was able to pitch the tent without getting attacked by the mosquitos.
Today's route:

3 comments:

  1. Jag har följt din blogg runt Sveriges kust. Imponerande distanser dag efter dag oberoende av dimma eller motvind. Spännande att se din väg genom våra vatten. Vi tältar på skäret utanför gemgrundet, lappöns nordöstra spets. Nära dig! Kaffe finns om du vill pausa innan du paddlar vidare imorgon. R&R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hej! Kul att du följt bloggen! Jag hade under hela turen som rutin att lägga ut mina inlägg en dag sent för att inte ha min exakta position tillgänglig för alla på nätet. Det medförde dock att jag redan hade hunnit långt iväg när jag såg din kommentar, annars hade det suttit fint med kaffe!
      /Pernilla

      Delete