Tuesday 12 July 2016

Day 53, July 11. Yet another day of long crossings.

From: Granön
To: Lill-Husskär
Distance: 46,5 km
Total distance: 1985 km
Wind: S-SE 3-7 m/s
Weather: Morning sunny, afternoon cloudy, 18 C
Today I think I might have completed my last really long crossing, 16 km across Degerfjärden north of Husum, took almost two and a half hours. Compared to when I started, nearly two months ago, I'm much more relaxed about theses big crossings and have actually started to like it just a little bit. I think it is that I have found a strategy for knowing how far I've come and what distance I have left. By now I know that I usually paddle at the speed of at least 6 km/h (including little breaks for a snack or to check the phone), that means that every kilometre takes 10 minutes and it makes it very easy to keep track of the distance. Before I start I measure the distance on the map and then calculate what time I will arrive on the other side, I also always check the forecast so that I know that the weather will be stable. I think being able to track of how far I've come and how far it is left by checking the time has been a key feature for me (and also listening to music to make it less tedious).
When arriving at Järnnäsklubb I decided to check out the cafe they have in this harbor and get today's first and only coffee only to find that it was closed... To the rescue came Sverker Olofsson!! (Swedish TV-host) who was having coffee with his daughter in the harbour. He asked me where I paddled from and was as surprised as anyone else when I told him I started from the Norwegian border. Thanks Sverker for the coffee and the nice chat!
Paddled for a few more hours after that break and ended up here:

That's the only photos I have from today since crossings make very dull pictures...
Today's route:

No comments:

Post a Comment