Sunday 10 July 2016

Day 51, July 9. View from a top x 2

From: Solumshamn
To: Södra Ulvön
Distance: 66,5 km
Total distance: 1890,5 km
Wind: Up until 2 pm every direction possible thereafter S 4-8 m/s
Weather: mostly sunny, high clouds
Started the day with a great breakfast and then a sightseeing tour around Härnösand. I used to live here up until I was 12 so it was it was weird but mostly great to drive around and have a look at my old neighbourhoods. We also drove up to Vårdkasen to the lookout tower and had a fantastic view of the city.
Then it was back out to Solumshamn and the little beach where my kayak was parked. A big thank you to Doris and Lennart for a great stay and the tour around the city! If you do feel like you have time for a 15 minute detour when driving down south you're always welcome to stop by at the summer house outside Nyköping 😀.
Passed right through the city of Härnösand on my way north and headed for Höga Kusten. This is one of the more striking bits of coastline in Sweden with steep cliffs plunging into the sea. A little bit hard though to find places to get ashore with a kayak.


When reaching Högbonden, island and lighthouse (Sweden's highest situated) I decided that this time I would hit the shore and walk up to the lighthouse (I've passed this place once before but didn't stop). The views from up there were fantastic! Not having much rest during the day I also made time for half an hour in the sun on a cliff.


It was already 6 pm by now but this was not really a good spot to stay the night (absolutely crazy birds down on the beach making horrendous amounts of noise) so I decided I would keep going and pitch my tent on the north shore of Norrfällsviken. The only problem was that when I got there, there was a party going on at the beach and camping with drunken teenagers next to me did not sound like such a good idea. So had no choice but to keep going and headed over to Ulvön where I finally pitched the tent while the mosquitos had a feast. This is clearly the drawback of late night paddling, not having time to do all practical chores when you are finally on dry land before the mosquitos come out to play. I got to see a nice sunset anyway.
Today's route:





No comments:

Post a Comment