Sunday 3 July 2016

Day 44, July 2. Rain, wind and thunderstorms

From: Hästen
To: Stony beach west of Långsand
Distance: 48 km
Total distance: 1556,5 km
Wind: S-SW-W 5-11 m/s
Weather: mostly cloudy with heavy showers and thunderstorms, about 10 minutes of sun.
Today has been a tough day. I'm still feeling tired from the cold and I'm coughing like crazy and on top of that the weather was not exactly what you wish for. It was raining when I woke up but managed to find a spot in between the showers to take down the tent and pack everything. The plan today was not to leave the kayak until I was finished paddling. That's usually the best thing to do a rainy day since getting out of the kayak will only make you more wet and also cold. Lunch was prepared in the form of a sandwich and 2 boiled eggs.
Had a good first hour before the rain started to pour down. But in-between every now and the the sun came out so it wasn't too bad.
Somewhere along the coast at the nature reserve Kapplasse I found this cave/crevice, since this was on the north shore and the wind came from southwest there were no waves and I could paddle into it. Only about 10 m long but still cool 😊.
When crossing Lövstabukten I started hearing thunder from where I was heading and this made me really uncomfortable, 3 km to land and once again I pictured myself struck by lightning. There had been no warnings about thunderstorms in the forecast so I was quite surprised when I saw the first flash of lightning. It was just hoping for the best and continue. The thunderstorm luckily went further north and I did not end up getting fried in the middle of the bay 😉.
Ended up on a stony beach pitching the tent during todays worst shower but the best thing is then to come... Getting into the tent, putting on dry clothes and get the sleeping bag out 😊. Very warm and cosy now!
Today's route:

No comments:

Post a Comment