Friday 15 July 2016

Day 56, July 14. Fog, thunder and then in the end some sun.

From: Långvikudden
To: Burvikshällorna
Distance: 66,5 km
Total distance: 2169 km
Wind: S-SE 1-8 m/s
Weather: Fog until 4 pm then sunny, 19 C
Had a great morning with breakfast in the sun, the pancakes from yesterday! As soon as I sat down in the kayak fog started rolling in from the sea and I couldn't see more than 50 m in front of me. It made navigating complicated and I had to pick up my phone twice to see exactly where I was, ended up not seeing land until I almost landed on the shore far in in the bays. You can see on today's route image that it is not the usual straight line from one head to the next rather a zig-zag pattern as I worked my way up along the coast.
This morning's view...
Paddling in fog is really very very boring since there is absolutely nothing to look at, you're just surrounded by a grey matter. Luckily I found something to cheer me up this morning! Checking the local weather forecast this is what I saw on my screen:
Had a good laugh before I continued paddling even though I did not see much of that sun that was in the forecast. (For you who don't speak Swedish the name of the place can be translated to Vomit-regret-snot!!! 😂)
When getting close to Bjuröklubb the fog finally lifted and I could see where I was going again.
Rounded the head and had my goal set on a meal at the cafe up by the lighthouse. Started talking to two families just as I got ashore, one of the fathers was a keen kayaker and also interested in doing this trip along the coast. They later invited me to join their table up at the cafe, thanks for a good chat and a great tip about camping at Burvikshällorna, one of the best camp sites I've had so far during this trip!
Ended today by paddling late in very calm weather gave me some stunning sights when looking out over the horizon.

Today's route:

1 comment:

  1. Det lustiga ortsnamnet (Kräkångersnoret) betecknar en trång (ånger) vik (nor) med en tydlig böjning, krok (kräk). Västerbotten är känt för sina märkliga ortsnamn.

    ReplyDelete