Sunday 10 July 2016

Day 50, July 8. The long way around...

From: Lörudden
To: Solumshamn
Distance: 53 km
Total distance: 1824 km
Wind: NW 5-10 m/s
Weather: Mostly sunny with some high clouds
This morning it was time to say good bye to the family again, now I won't see them until I reach Happaranda 😔.
Knew I would have head wind all day but that it would settle a bit later it was in no hurry to leave Lörudden. Got everything packed and ready and headed off at half past 9. I had at that point not yet decided on which route I would choose to get across Sundsvallsbukten but getting around the head at Lörudden it all became very clear. The wind was strong and there were big waves, there was no way I would take the closest way 20 km right across to the other side, it's just too far in head wind out on open water. So it was the long way around the bay...
This was one of few days so far that I did not enjoy paddling at all, it was more a constant struggle. The goal was, despite the head wind to reach the south point of Härnön. If I managed that I would be picked up by friends to my parents and be able to sleep in a real bed tonight.
It was yet again windy and cold out on the water today.
Finally just after 7 pm I got to Härnön, now it was only the matter of finding somewhere to park the kayak for the night. I had seen on google earth that there were a lot of little private beaches along the coastline here so I figured I one of these would be a suitable place for the kayak. When I saw a family sitting on a porch having dinner I saw my chance and asked them if I could use their beach over night for the kayak and they said yes!! Thank you so much! I didn't get your names but it was brilliant that I could use your lovely beach!
Got in contact with Doris and Lennart and got picked up. Was able to do some washing, have a shower, got treated to a very nice meal and a good night's sleep! Perfect way to end a day of tough paddling!
Today's route:

No comments:

Post a Comment