Thursday 26 May 2016

Day 6, May 25. Not what I expected

From: Sunne holme
To: Bastö
Distance: 35 km
Wind: NE 9-14 m/s
Weather Cloudy at first, clearing up late afternoon
Yesterday, when reading todays forecast, I was superexited about today! Northern winds about 6-8 m/s and I prepared myself to just cruise down along the coast at good speed the whole day.
Already after a few hundred meters when hitting the first strait the wind was really strong and hmmm, I was going south east and this was not even close to tail wind. Checking the forcast again it was now changed to NE but I would say it was more of E if you ask me. Since I was heading SE pretty much all day I was stuck in headwind hell. I admit there was some swearing out there and also a fair bit of cursing the Swedish wheather service. Lesson learned: always prepare for the worst, don't ever see yourself just fly effortless along the coast.
When reaching Marstrand I had pretty much had it so I went for the shore and had a look around plus walked up to the fortress Carlstens Fästning then seriously thinking about if I could continue today in the hauling winds or what other options I had.

While thinking this over one of the guys from the refuge hostel just behind the beach from where I was sitting came down and very thoroughly inspected the kayak (or was he more facinated with the fact that I had hung all my wet clothes, including underwear, to dry all over the kayak?). Tried to talk to him but neither Swedish nor English worked.
Well, after a few hours the wind seemed to abait and I gathered all the stuff and took off again. Still hard work down along the coast but now when the sun had come out it all seemed so much easier. Passed an old ship wreck and reached a good camping spot just before 8 pm.

Then managed to cook my first real meal outside while the sun was setting.

Todays route:



2 comments: