Monday 23 May 2016

Day 3, May 22. Notoriuos passage Tjurepannan conquered!

From: Hällsö
To: Hällsö (I'm not back to where I started this morning 😄, it's another Hällsö😁)
Distance: 38 km
Wind: A bit of everything. SW 5-9 m/s before lunch then turning over to S to finally end with E 2-5 m/s
Weather: Showers during the day, cloudy in the evening
Ended yesterday in position to take on the notorious Tjurepannan, a passage completely open to the North Sea and supposed to be paricularly bad with south westerly winds. Well, as the weather forecast hands me nothing but S-SW winds the next couple of days I figured I'd give it my best shot and if it seems too bad, turn around and go back. The wind was bad and the waves were BIG but it's incredible how stable this little kayak is! It was hard work but I never felt scared or insecure, just put my head down, focused and kept on paddling. But when reaching calmer waters it was still with a feeling of relief.

After that stressful start the rest of the day just got better especially when reaching Hamburgsund and seeing a restaurant that was indeed open! YES! Time for a proper warm meal, first in 3 days. So I found this mini-beach perfect for a kayak just next to the restaurant that simply had my name on it!

Stepping into the restaurant dripping water from jacket and spray skirt looking rather scruffy I'm glad they accepted me as customer (I also told them I had a change of clothes with me and did a Superman, getting out of the restroom unrecognizable... or maybe not, but at least with dry clothes on). Oh what a decent meal and some coffe can do for your spirits!

Leaving Hamburgsund I had a fantastic paddle with light easterly winds seeing some of Bohusläns great barren archipelago.

When it was time to find a place to stay the night all islands around me just looked like plain rock with very little green bits suitable for a tent. Solution: use Google Earth! Picked up the phone and on the island next to me there seemed to be a bit of green worth checking out. When paddling a little bit further I saw that this was just the perfect spot!


And at this spot I am now lying in the tent updating the blog and spending time with the family on facetime.
Today's route:


No comments:

Post a Comment