Sunday 22 May 2016

Day 2, May 21, The head wind continues

From: Yttre Burholmen
To: Hällsö
Distance: 21 km
Wind: S-SW 5-10 m/s
Weather: Cloudy and then rain in the evening
Laying in my tent listening to the drizzling rain. Got ashore just in time to pitch the tent before it started 👍.
Woke up around 8 with a sore throat this morning. Guess it was inevitable being so close to my daughter with the monster cold the last couple of days.
Intended to head off reasonably early today but all the gear wanted something else. After just hanging around for a while it took forever getting everything packed and sorted. I'm working on getting everything organised in the best possible way and trying to figure out what things I need access to during the day and what things can go deeper into the dry compartments cause I won't need them until the end of the day. Plus realised yesterday that when paddling rather big waves it's a good thing to have everything heavy in the rear compartment to make the bow lighter, it makes the kayak take the waves better (prevents the bow from diving into a wave). And then there is also the problem with the limited space it's supposed to fit into.

Well at 11 am I managed to get myself seated in the kayak an had almost 4 windy but good hours of paddling. I had my mind set on finding some sort of restaurant in Havstenssund just to get there finding nothing was open... Oh, how I had been looking forwards to that warm meal. Instead left again after eating an apple and a banana.

I've hit my first bigger problem on this trip, you see my long trusted cooker since almost 17 years (MSR Dragonfly) gave up on me yesterday 😢. A welding had come loose and the actual burner is now separated from the bottom part and foldable legs. There also seemed to be some sort of leakage cause the petrol does not reach the burner in an even flow, the flame just goes out right after starting it. When I tried it at home just a few weeks ago it was working fine so how this happened is a bit of a mystery. I have now joined the society of raw food eaters... Hoping it will be a good but brief acquaintance and that I will be able to pick up a new cooker in a few days that I'm about to order on the internet.
Today's route:


1 comment: