Sunday 29 May 2016

Day 9, May 28. Rocks, rocks, more rocks and a couple of beaches

From: Bondaholmen
To: Grimsholmen
Distance: 44,5 km
Wind: Starting out with NE, turning to SE before lunch and then NW late afternoon. 2-6 m/s
Weather: Cloudy until noon then clearing up.
I had no idea this part of the coast was so much about rocks. There are rocks all along the coastline, black ones sticking up out of the water or lurking just beneath the surface, long lines in between the few islands there are and the main land making paddling inbetween impossible or simply just long lines of rocks pointing hundreds of meters straight out from land so that you have to go around it or simply just stay a couple of hundred meters from land to paddle outside all of them (which is somewhat boring but what I chose to go the shortest way). Ok, so there are also long beaches but for me they were completely overshadowed by the rocks.
These rocks are loved by the seals though and I got to meet a lot of them today, getting quite close to my kayak diving and jumping around in the water. They are impossible to photograph so I've simply given up by now and just enjoy watching them.
A bit complicated to find good spots to camp now when there are houses pretty much all along the coast and no islands to escape to. Finally found a good spot in a nature reserve (you were allowed to camp for 2 nights in this one) but still close to a lot of summer houses.
Met two couples walking their dogs after I finished dinner and I went for a walk together with them trying to find some old carving in a rock of a ship (see, it is all about rocks here 😀), apparently the rock it is carved in is shaped like a perfect chair and comfortable to sit in. We never found it but it was a nice walk.
Tomorrow and the day after will most likely be two very short days (regarding distance paddled) since I have Laholmsbukten coming up and wanted to cross on Monday. The weather forecast is not to my liking at the moment, it predicts winds between 8-18 (that is not a typo) m/s on Monday which is way too much for me for a crossing like that. I hope it will change like it has everyday so far during this trip 😀.
Today's route:

No comments:

Post a Comment